- Select a location at least 6 months in advance.
- Visit the site to ensure that it will be adequate.
- Contact the school and/or the school district to reserve the space. (There is usually a small charge and a little paperwork involved)
- Be sure to get all of the details of the equipment you have access to and what the school may be able to provide, such as:
- Sound system
- Tables, chairs
- Contact Dup15q Alliance at email@example.com to get a copy of insurance certificate to provide to the school.
- Make a flyer (2-3 months in advance) with event details to send to potential participants and give to potential donors. Helpful to make a version that can be emailed and printed.
Contact the Alliance for the following:
- Dup15q Alliance logo and Believe Walk logo
- Believe Walk information and goal
- List of families in your area who might want to participate (Make sure flyer gets sent to all area Dup15q Alliance families.)
- Procurement letter for sponsors
Keep in mind, the Alliance will also publicize the walk through emails and the website
- Procure donations (2 – 3 months in advance)
- Take a flyer and procurement letter from Alliance when you visit all potential donors.
- Donations from grocery stores are usually the easiest to obtain. (Gift cards or food items are usually what they will donate.)
- Some national chains – Costco, Trader Joe’s and possibly others - should be contacted at least 3 months in advance to allow time for them to contact corporate headquarters.
- All registration information/money goes to the Alliance.
- A link to each walk is on the Alliance website.
- Alliance sends updates to event organizer regarding names and number of participants, etc.
- “Day of “registration form is provided by Alliance.
Provided by the Alliance
- Large banner
- Balloons (You can purchase a helium tank from a party store or have the party store fill balloons for you. Cost is typically similar.)
- Informational signs
- T-shirts (designed by Alliance and ordered through the Alliance website when people register)
- Informational brochures
Also, note that Dup15q Alliance will reimburse you for all costs incurred or will issue you a tax receipt for expenses that you wish to donate.